The building occupies the site of an old coach house built about 1630 during the reign of king LOUIS XIII.
By Order of the Cardinal of Richelieu, this "relais de la poste aux chevaux" was first granted on 1647 to Michel Roustan, first post master of this area. Here the horses would be changed and the weary travelers would be find refreshment and accomodations. The last post master was Honoré Artaud who succeded his mother who had been made "post mistress" during the French revolution. After 1857 this relais became just a simple Inn under the name of "Petit hotel" and later it was to become "Auberge de la Gruppi", and now "The Relais de la Calèche".
As in england the hotel was patronized by many famous people, including: 1660 Louis XVI with Cardinal of Richelieu, the queen mother, the duke of Anjou. In 1793 , Napoleon Bonaparte.
Between the years 1814 and 1835, The count of Artois, The Duchesse of Angoulème, the duke of Orleans, The duchesse of Berry.
After soon for centuries, the present proprietary are endeavouring to restor the hotel to give it a feeling of character and good hostellery of the by gone days.